The 250-year-old half-timbered building from the well-known wine village of Durbach in the Ortenau district, which used to be part of a winegrowers' farm, represents the Ortenau as a region of origin in the open-air museum.
The Rebhof was built in 1775 in the middle of Durbach, a typical winegrowing village to the northeast of Offenburg.
The name for this type of house, the “Ortenauhaus”, refers to its region of origin. The Ortenau is located to the right of the Upper Rhine and stretches from the Rhine valley up through the foothills and on to the western slopes of the Black Forest.
The Ortenauhaus is the only building in the Black Forest Open Air Museum Vogtsbauernhof that was built purely as a dwelling. Stalls for the animals were in an outbuilding opposite, together with all the equipment needed for winegrowing and farming.
Between 2021 and 2023, in a highly complex relocation and restoration process, the building was brought to the Black Forest Open Air Museum Vogtsbauernhof. A reconstructed barn was added to complete the ensemble.
The house’s appearance today dates back to 1961, when, during extensive renovation work, the timber frame was completely restored and the house was given a new roof of interlocking tiles. The colours of the walls, doors and windows have also not changed since then.